Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 2: Buckingham Palace, Big Ben/Westminster Palace, Westminster Abbey




















If you like to walk, you will enjoy this little tour I made up by "winging it". I'm sure it is listed in a walking guide too. From Buckingham Palace to Parliament, it will take all day at a leisurely pace.

I exited the tube at Green Park. Nice walk through there: tall sycamore trees bordered on one end by mansions. Upon leaving the park, you are greeted with a huge fountain: Victoria Monument. Beyond that, Buckingham Palace. I spent a good hour taking photos of the fountain's many statues and reliefs. The changing of the guard at the Palace was canceled that day so you may want to check ahead before planning your outing.

I moved on across the road to St. James Park. It was a nice, sunny spring day. The trees where in bloom with spring flowers and red-billed ducks were swimming in the lagoon. This is a great place to sit, eat lunch, and reflect upon your visit to London (or whatever). I brought some food with me. There is a cafe on the far end but it was expensive and packed.

You can see the London Eye (Millennium Wheel) and the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral from St. James Park. I figured that would be a good place to head off to. It was so exciting to be wandering around London, I have to say. Everything is so well marked. As I was walking I happened upon signs pointing which way to go to Westminster Abbey. Great! Because that is where I wanted to end up. It is also a good idea to have a map with you at all times though. It's easy to get turned around especially after exiting the tube.

I came upon Big Ben and Westminster Palace where Parliament is held. Wow! It was a jaw dropper. The place is so historical and massive plus you see Big Ben all the time associated with London. I walked the length of it, staring with my mouth open.

As great as this whole England trip was, I can say with certainty that this day was one of the trip's highlights. And of this day's highlights, Westminster Abbey shined the brightest. You have to see this place! You don't have to be a Christian or even remotely spiritual to enjoy and revere the beauty of this structure. From Queen Elizabeth's tomb, to the cathedral ceilings that went up at least 100' (outside towers about 225'), to the fact that they started building this thing almost 1000 years ago, gave me the chills. This place was built all by hand: every nook and cranny, piece of wood and stone, was carved by hand. With our modern technology and machines, nothing like this has been built. To me, it's simply stunning!

1 comment:

  1. You could write travel books (or guides). Seriously, you bring it to life and describe it great!

    ReplyDelete