Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 4: Glastonbury (Glastonbury Tor)














Over the hills (via British rail to Bristol) and through the woods (via the #376 bus) to Glastonbury I went...By the way, make sure to use the luggage racks on the buses going through the country. It's a bit hilly and luggage tends to "dance around". I amused other travelers by chasing mine down a couple of times.

I arrived in Glastonbury in the midst of a downpour. I wandered around in the rain a bit searching for the B&B I made reservations for. Upon asking directions in a pub, I found the
"No 1 Park Terrace". And let me tell you this place is #1 in my book. It was like heaven. The owners were very friendly, the room was cozy and spotless, the breakfast was great (made to order) and it was nice and quiet. I was relieved!

After I settled my things in my room, I decided to hit the pavement and walk up to the Glastonbury Tor. It was about 1-2 miles from my hotel to the top of the Tor. The wind was picking up and the temperature dropped significantly from when I arrived just an hour before. I began to get pelted with ice as the wind whipped sleet into my face. I couldn't help but smile despite the weather because I was in Glastonbury one of the legendary places of King Arthur.

A "tor" is a weathered rock outcrop or a top of a hill/high point of a landscape. The Glastonbury Tor would have been a strategic military position because you really can see for miles and miles and miles from all angles. It was quite a site because the sun broke through the clouds as I reached the top of the Tor. I could see rain/snow shafts and dark clouds in some areas while rays of sunlight shone through other clouds. Water droplets shone like diamonds in the afternoon sun and the grass was so very green. I could have stayed there all day if it wasn't for the cold and the wind was threatening to tear me off the hill!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds better than your first "hotel" :) Great pics too and descriptions...I feel like I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad to share my experience. Maybe it will inspire you to go :-).

    ReplyDelete