Monday, March 30, 2009

Days 6&7: Salisbury and Stonehenge











I left Glastonbury and hopped a bus and a train to get to Salisbury. I made a reservation in advance for the Rokeby Guest House in Salisbury. Another very nice hotel with a wonderful breakfast! The main, historic part of town was only about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Since it was a travel day, my plan was to check out town and go to Stonehenge the following day. It was rather gloomy, cold, and it seemed to be reflected in the town of Salisbury that day. I wasn't very impressed with it. I stress that it could have just been my mood. The real reason I was there was to see Stonehenge. Plus, I think I was getting a bit lonely, one of the cons of traveling alone and with no iPod! Must have music...

The Salisbury Cathedral is the tallest (still standing) in the UK. The outside of the church is pretty impressive, sporting a spire of 404 feet. Unfortunately, I missed the tour that took you to the top of the spire via stairs. An example of why not to "wing it". The inside has it's moments but...it was no Westminster or Cologne Cathedral (Germany). I found it disappointing that many of the sculptures and sarcophagi where defaced. I felt that the cathedral was unkempt and had a run-down feel.

The following day, I caught the bus, in the main part of town, to Stonehenge. It was only about a 1/2 hour ride. How weird to see Stonehenge in the distance. It was almost surreal. I mean it's one of the 7 Wonders of the Medieval World erected over 4500 years ago (about 2500 BC) and many people in the world have seen pictures or at least heard of it.

Walking around the stones, I was filled with wonder and awe at the mystery of the place. It's hard to describe but I sensed a deep quiet, stillness from the circle of stones. Another moment when I wished I could go back in time and see why, how, and to what purpose it was built. I also need to go back again when I can sit and absorb what I'm seeing-the wind was terribly cold (surprise)! I was so mad for not bringing a winter jacket. Don't ever rely on weather.com! Keep in mind and plan ahead: you can't walk into the circle of stones without an appointment (and about 40 bucks). I definitely recommend visiting this historic site.

No comments:

Post a Comment